Français

Contributors to the Canadian Jewish Heritage Network

This site currently contains information about the holdings of:

The Alex Dworkin Canadian Jewish Archives (formerly CJCCCNA)
  • AlexDworkinFJA-angle-blueLocated in Montreal on the downtown campus of Concordia University, the Alex Dworkin Canadian Jewish Archives (formerly called the Canadian Jewish Congress CC National Archives) is a national program of Jewish Federations of Canada-UIA as of January 2016. We collect and preserve documentation on countless aspects of the Jewish presence in Quebec and Canada, including: community organization, integration into Canadian society, Zionism, discrimination, oppressed Jewry in other countries, genealogy, and much more. The total size of the collection exceeds 1450 linear metres. Established in 1934, since 1992 the Archives has benefited from the status of "Service agréé d'archives privées," a program of the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the Alex Dworkin Foundation for Jewish Archives. For more information, visit http://www.cjarchives.ca.

    Archives Director: Janice Rosen, Archives assistant: Hélène Vallée
    Telephone: (514) 931-7531, ext. 2 | archives@cjarchives.ca
The Jewish Public Library Archives of Montreal (JPL-A)
  • AlexDworkinFJA-angle-blueSince 1914 the JPL Archives' mandate has been to collect, preserve, and make available the social, economic, and cultural accomplishments of Montreal's Jewish community using original documents, photographs and recordings. The Archives house collections of individuals, institutions, associations, and schools depicting the history and life of the community during the past 200 years. The collections include minutes, correspondence, programs, flyers, posters, manuscripts, artifacts, audio-visual materials and more than 17,000 photographs. The JPL-A gratefully acknowledges the support of the Alex Dworkin Foundation for Jewish Archives. For more information, visit: http://www.jewishpubliclibrary.org/en/archives/.

    Archivist: Shannon Hodge, Archivist Emeritus: Eiran Harris
    Telephone (514) 345-2627, ext. 3015 / ext. 3000 | archives@jplmontreal.org
The Montreal Holocaust Memorial Centre (MHMC)
  • Since 1979, the MHMC collects objects, photographs and documents to transmit the memory of the events that led to the genocide of European Jews during World War II. Most objects in collection are directly linked to personal stories and therefore have a unique value. The collection is intended for educational and remembrance purposes, and is used throughout the museum and in student-centered activities. The collection holds close to 10,000 different items including 3,000 photographs. For more information, visit: http://www.mhmc.ca/en/pages/the-collection

    Museum & Collection coordinator: Julie Guinard
    Telephone (514) 345-2605 | info@mhmc.ca
The Ottawa Jewish Archives

Established in 1969, the Ottawa Jewish Archives strives to maintain the collective memory of the Jewish Community of Ottawa through its objectives to acquire, preserve, and make accessible its holdings which document the history, growth, and development of the Jewish community within Ottawa and the National Capital Region. The archival collection tells the story of community life in Ottawa from the 1890's to the current day and contains a wide range of records relating to individuals and families, community organizations and events, congregations, and businesses. Currently, the Archives is home to over 8,500 photographs and approximately 25,000 records comprised of papers, correspondence, audio and video recordings, manuscripts, works of art on paper, three-dimensional artifacts, and digital records. The Archives also holds every issue of The Ottawa Jewish Bulletin from its first edition printed in 1937 to the present. The Ottawa Jewish Archives is located in the Soloway Jewish Community Centre. For more information, see: http://jewishottawa.com/ottawa-jewish-archives

Archivist: Saara Mortensen
613-798-4696, ext.260 | archives@jewishottawa.com

The Congregation Shaar Hashomayim Museum and Archives


Congregation Shaar Hashomayim
was founded in 1846 as the Congregation of English, German and Polish Jews. The total collection housed at the Shaar Hashomayim's Museum and Archives and Library numbers approximately 15,000 objects and 6,500 Judaic books. The museum collection includes Jewish liturgical and ritual objects, as well as secular and Israeli cultural objects. The archival holdings are comprised of an extensive collection of photographic and textual records, including a photographic collection documenting Jewish life in Canada and Europe, textual records of institutional and personal provenance, and video and audio interviews with congregation members and staff as well as recordings of public lectures. The Library holdings include a Judaic rare book collection. Click here for more information on the Shaar Hashomayim Museum and Archives collection items displayed on the CJHN website. For more information on the Congregation Shaar Hashomayim, visit: http://www.shaarhashomayim.org/.

Executive Director: Penny Kolb | Telephone: (514) 937-9471 | email: admin@theshaar.org.
To inquire about Shaar Hashomayim material displayed on the CJHN website, contact: cjhn@cjarchives.ca


The Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue Archives


Founded under the name of the Corporation of Spanish and Portuguese Jews, this synagogue is the oldest Jewish institution in Montreal, in Quebec and in Canada, tracing its history back to the first Jewish settlers who began to arrive in 1760.
The Synagogue's on-site Archives include over 14 linear metres of documents, hundreds of photographs, and a unique collection of historical artifacts and ceremonial art reflecting the membership's diverse Sephardic traditions. After a catalogue of the Archives was created in 2012 with funding from the Bibliotheque et archives nationales du Quebec, this information was transferred to the CJHN web platform as part of a Canadian Heritage Young Canada Works project, with additional assistance from the Alexander Dworkin Foundation for Jewish Archives. For more information about the Synaogogue, visit the website at: http://www.thespanish.org/.

Office manager: Kathia Moreno | Tel: (514) 737-3695 ext. 101 | email: reception@thespanish.org
To inquire about the Synagogue's material displayed on the CJHN website, contact: cjhn@cjarchives.ca

and Genealogy listings from:
The Saint John Jewish Historical Museum


The Saint John Jewish Historical Museum is the only Jewish Museum in the Atlantic Provinces. It was created in 1986 to preserve the history of the diminishing Jewish community of Saint John, New Brunswick. At one time the community had as many as 300 families, but today there are fewer than 35 families remaining in the community. The museum offers tours to the general public throughout the year and sponsors an education program for schools in the province of New Brunswick, either through class tours of the museum or by sending out Jewish Education Outreach Kits. There are five exhibit galleries, the Shaarei Zedek Synagogue, an archives, and library. To learn more about the SJJHM, visit the website at: http://jewishmuseumsj.com

Curator/Archivist: Katherine Biggs-Craft
Telephone: (506) 633-1833 | Fax: (506) 642-9926 | sjjhm@nbnet.nb.ca

© 2010 - 2014 Canadian Jewish Heritage Network. All rights reserved.