||In 1889, the principal members of Winnipeg's Bethel Synagogue left to form their own congregation, the Shaarey Zedek. This Conservative synagogue, which has its own cemetery, also ran a Hebrew school for several years. In 1913, a new building was to be erected, but instead the synagogue amalgamated with the Shaarey Shomayim, its own offshoot congregation, which was having financial difficulties. The original building was then expanded, rather than a new one constructed. A new building was eventually erected in 1950. The synagogue is still in existence today.