English

Résultats de la recherche

 

Bookmark and Share

SHEARITH ISRAEL SPANISH and PORTUGUESE SYNAGOGUE.

Exterior view of the Chenneville Street synagogue, 1926

Dates ultimes 1770-1990.
Niveau de description Fonds
Collection SHEARITH ISRAEL SPANISH and PORTUGUESE SYNAGOGUE.
(Voir toutes les fiches de cette collection )   (Voir la description des fonds )    (Voir l'instrument de recherche )
No du fonds I0057
Collation 0.41 metres of textual records. - 7 photographs. - 5 artefacts.
Notice biographique / histoire administrative The Shearith Israel Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue was founded in 1768 in Montreal by, among others, Simon Levy and Aaron Hart. Prominent members have included the families Joseph, Hays, David, Solomon and Wolff. As many of the original members (from England, Germany, and the American colonies) were descended from Spanish and Portuguese Jews, the Orthodox synagogue followed the Sepharadi customs. It was modelled on similar synagogues in London and New York. At first, a building was rented, and then a new one erected on Notre Dame in 1778. After several moves and buildings, the edifice at the present location on Lemieux Street was constructed in 1947. The famed Reverend Abraham de Sola and his son Meldola de Sola were rabbis of the synagogue in the 1800s. Members of the congregation founded the Young Men's Hebrew Benevolent Society of Montreal (later the Baron de Hirsch Institute) in the 1850s. The synagogue has a cemetery and a school and was the recipient of the first two Torah scrolls ever sent to Canada. Some of its Torah cases are over 200 years old as well. The Shearith Israel is the oldest congregation in Canada.
Portée et contenu Proposals and by-laws (1778, 1826, 1838, 1844-1845, 1847, 1855, 1857, 1886, 1890, 1921). Legal documents (1887, 1916). Act of the synagogue (1890). Amalgamation documents (1874). Minutes (1770-1880, 1798, 1832, 1834, 1838-1839, 1846-1965, 1871-1904, 1908, 1922-1933, 1947, 1960). Reports (1911, 1922, 1930). Financial documents (1836-1839, 1841, 1871, 1891, 1902, 1913-1916, 1920-1922, 1930, 1942-1943, 1945-1946). Cemetery documents (1855-1859, 1864-1865, 1871, 1900-1903, 1906, 1908-1909, 1913-1915, 1921-1922, 1941). Synagogue fees (1925). Seat prices (1920). Memberships, seats, subscriptions and seating plans (1835, 1837- 1838, 1840-1841, 1844-1845, 1847, 1850, 1855, 1873, 1876, 1888, 1894-1914, 1921-1922, 1941). Correspondence (1829, 1832-1833, 1835, 1838, 1840-1841, 1844-1847, 1851-1855, 1861, 1864, 1871-1874, 1876, 1880, 1882, 1884, 1887-1888, 1905, 1907-1908, 1912-1914, 1920, 1922, 1933, 1935-1936, 1943, 1946, 1956, 1969, 1970, 1972). Registers (births, etc., 1841- 1862). Quebec Legislative Council Journal (1826, 1831). Provincial Parliament Journal (1828- 1829, 1831, 1845). Legislative Assembly Debates (1846). Bulletins (1940-1946, 1951, 1957-1959). Bevis Marks Spanish and Portuguese bulletin (London, 1920). Rabbi Frank speech (1945). Duties of Shamash (1902) and caretaker (1905). Speech, services, dedication and anniversary booklets (1916, 1918-1919, 1937, 1940, 1943, 1945-1947, 1953, 1959-1960, 1963, 1970). Press releases (1922, 1927 y/e). 1838 census. Rabbinical ruling (1854). Hebrew philanthropic documents (1920-1922). Stanley Street blue print (1940) and sketch (1956). Canadian Jewish Congress school statistics and memos (1948). Student paper on synagogue (1982). Jewish Yearbook entries (1936, 1946, 1954, 1964). Chapters/articles on synagogue (1839, 1850-1851, 1903, 1925 (Sack, y), 1927, 1936, 1940, 1969, 1971, 1975). Jewish community facts (1953). Invitations, tickets, donation cards, flyers, campaign and meeting information. Synagogue stationery. Blank contract. Photocopies of pictures. Clippings (1853-1990 with gaps)
Notes English, Yiddish and Hebrew.Includes 5 coins from 1899-1900.
Dépôt d'archives Canadian Jewish Congress Charities Committee National Archives
 


© 2010 - 2012 Canadian Jewish Heritage Network. Tous droits réservés