1. United Jewish Appeal of Ottawa, Keren Hayesod Campaign is a series within the Jewish Community Council of Ottawa fonds.
2. Three copies
3. Formally known as 1-563-026
4. George St. Hall was the old Talmud Torah building, George Street, Ottawa.
5. See Ottawa Jewish Bulletin June 2, 1938 article re: Leib Jaffe
6. Many people identified by Sylvia Kershman in July 2009. More people are identified by Sylvia than appear in Content field- see file in Oversize Box for 18-079.
7. Guest speaker Mr. Leib Jaffe is seated in the front row center flanked by Mr. and Mrs. A.J. Freiman. David Epstein is sitting center, fourth from the left next to his wife Rachel. Thelma Steinman is second from the right in the back row. Hugo Levendel is seated at front. Rose Carlofsky is seated on steps on left side (with hat and fur collar). Ben Steinberg is standing at end of front row on right. Jack Spevak is seated in front row, extreme left (holding hat). Max Bookman is in second row from top, fifth from right.
Photograph : Paper : b&w ; Ht: 3 3/8 in. x W: 5 1/4 in.
Other Title Information
b&w, group of men standing on a road being built. Avrum Katz, a civil engineer can be seen 4th from the left. The road is located between the city of Kowel and Vledema. Narrative: Awrum Katz was the donor's father. Born in 1892, Awrum Katz was married to Rebecca Pfeffer. He worked as a civil engineer. They moved to England in 1939, with their children Rose and Moshe. From England they travelled to New York to attend the World Fair. They were denied citizenship in the USA and later settled in Montreal. Avrum worked as a peddler and attended university at night to become a civil engineer. He died in 1942.