Past Archivist Dawn Logan reviewed this tape in September, 2004. The important features were:
- verifying that first minyan held at the home of John Dover
- Background, courtship by Rev. Jacob Mirsky of his New York wife. She brought her youngest son, Joe Nathanson with her to Ottawa, and left three other children with relatives in New York. This is because Rev. Mirsky's salary would not support so many children.
- Mrs Nathanson was the principal person speaking and she recalled events very well. Shirley inquired about anti-semitism when Hattie entered school and she declared there was none for her.
1. Negative returned from the National Archives, June 2000.
2. Photograph taken in Thurso, Quebec.
3. Card states that she marries and becomes Mrs. Ryan, Jewish step sister to Elizabeth (Betsy) Benwick.
Joseph Dover speaks about his father John Dover, his father's immigration to Canada, the establishment of Adath Jeshurun Synagogue, his family and life in lowertown, and antisemitism among other topics. A great deal of information is provided about the earliest days of the Jewish Community in Ottawa.