Jewish Colonial Certificate, 1919, Jewish National Fund, Keren Heyesod 1920s certificates, bank notes, pre-Independence Israel (Palestine), correspondence with David Rome. Donated 6/99. See also photos P99/05 and P97/08. Remarks: Collection P97/08 in box 61A contains Russian certificates, Halifax Royal Bank bank book for CJC-UJR from 1939-1950 showing expenditures by Noa Heinish. Also small JNF and Young Judaea pins in artifact cabinet Drawer 1. File characteristics: Correspondence. Originals and photocopies. Montreal-related material.
Contains programmes from the Education Department of the Workmen's Circle, New York as well as Yiddish workbooks from Jewish Peretz and People's Schools.
Sara Mlotek Rosenfeld was born in Poland in 1920. Her family was active in the Jewish Labour Bund and she was raised in Warsaw. In 1939, Sara feld Poland ahead of the Nazis with her future husband Hershl Rosenfeld and his family. They survived the war in Kazakhstan.
Hershl and Sara joined Sara's brother Joseph Mlotek in Canada in 1946 where she spent the remainder of her life. She was an active leader in the Yiddish cultural community; as director of the Workmen's Circle Choir, director of the Yiddish Committee of the Canadian Jewish Congress, and one of the co-founders of KlezKanada. She is also credited as one of the founders of the National Yiddish Book Center in Amhert, Mass. Sara Rosenfeld passed away in 2004.
Transferred from the office of Sara Rosenfeld.
One monograph, "Der Zhurnalist" (Warsaw, 1925) removed from collection and placed in the collection of the Jewish Public Library.
1. Quality of images is low due to printer used.
2. Ottawa Jewish Archives supplied photographic paper for these copies.
3. See JNF Dinner program for these images.
4. Photos are numbered 4-710-01 to 4-710-21.
5. This particular image shows the Vered Tree of Life.
6. Copy of Sara's IDF certificate also donated along with two scenes of Jerusalem in 1948.
7. Images were also given to JNF for Negev Dinner as she is the honouree this year.
8. Minimum information accompanies each photograph.