Fonds consists of series of souvenir programs of dinners and other events (with gaps) - 1957, 1964 - 1969, 1971 - 1979, 1980 - 1985, 1986 - 1989, 1991 - 1994, 1995, 1997 - 2000, 2003 - 2007, 2014; and an administrative series concerning the organization of the Negev Dinner, 1956-1978 along with spe…
Fonds consists of series of souvenir programs of dinners and other events (with gaps) - 1957, 1964 - 1969, 1971 - 1979, 1980 - 1985, 1986 - 1989, 1991 - 1994, 1995, 1997 - 2000, 2003 - 2007, 2014; and an administrative series concerning the organization of the Negev Dinner, 1956-1978 along with speeches and reports. Also included in this fonds are two JNF certificates presented to Leon Fine; one from 1935 and one from 1944. The 1935 certificate was presented by the Lena Florence Chapter of Hadassah on the occassion of Mr. & Mrs. Leon Fine's Silver Wedding anniversary. The other certificate was inscribed to Mr. Fine by the Ottawa Hebrew Benefit Society. A Jewish National Fun certificate presented to Senator David A. Croll (see Subject Files) on the occasion of his appoinment as member of the Senate of Canada from the Ottawa Men's Zionist Society (see 4-728). A Jewish National Fund tree planting certificate inscribed for Peter and Anna Pepper on the occasion of their 50th wedding anniversary - June 13, 1976 - Trees were planted by Archie Taller, Lillian Taller and Joel Taller (see 4-771).
1935 - 2006 with gaps
The Jewish National Fund (Keren Kayemeth Le'Israel) began in 1901, and commenced in Canada in 1906 as a Zionist movement dedicated to redeeming land in Palestine. Its mission to redeem the land of Israel has been steadfast and unwavering, serving as trustee of that land for the Jewish people of the world.
In 1948 the first Negev dinner was held in Montreal. The first Negev dinner in Ottawa was held in 1957 as a National Farewell for His Excellency Michael Saul Comay, first ambassador to Canada. Lawrence Freiman was chairman, and Sam Kizell Vice-Chairman.
From 1964 onwards, Negev dinners were held in Ottawa on a regular basis. Traditionally, prominent members of the Ottawa community who have contributed to the development and strengthening of both Ottawa and the State of Israel are honoured at these dinners. Occasionally non-Jewish friends of Israel such as Hugh M. Grant and Bob Chiarelli are honoured.
In 1990, the annual Negev Dinner was deferred by the JNF until the following year out of recognition of the importance of Operation Exodus by the Ottawa Jewish community. In September of 1990, the Ottawa Jewish Bulletin reported that JNF had embarked on building infrastructure and housing to accomodate Soviet immigrants.
Negev Dinner Honourees:
1957 Michael Comay
1964 Lawrence Freiman
1965 Alex Betcherman
1966 Myer N. Drazin
1967 Rev. Joseph Rabin
1968 Samuel Berger, Q.C.
1969 A. Louis Achbar
1971 Mrs. Max (Greta) Cohen
1972 Dr. Samuel Mirsky
1973 Jacob Gordon
1974 Hugo Levendel, Samuel Taller, Harry Weidman
1975 Senator Norman M. Paterson
1976 Jacob and Fanny Baker
1977 Harold Shenkman
1978 The Honourable Mr. Abraham Lieff
1979 Hugh M. Grant
1980 Bertram Loeb
1981 The Honourable Bob Kaplan, P.C., Q.C.
1982 The Heroes of the Galilee
1983 B'nai Brith and B’nai B’rith Women of Ottawa
1984 Dr. Nathan Schechter, M.D., F.R.C.P., (C)
1985 Muriel Levine
1986 Rabbi Dr. Reuven P. Bulka
1987 John and Gladys Greenberg
1988 Jack Smith
1989 Norman Lesh
1990 (No dinner)
1991 Mervin Mirsky
1992 Rabbi Arnold Fine
1993 Dr. Norman Barwin, C.M.
1994 Harry Goldstein
1995 Sam, Shirley and Moe Kardish
1996 (no dinner)
1997 Cantor David Aptowitzer
1998 Moshe Feig
1999 Bob Chiarelli
2000 The Honourable Herb Gray
2001 (No dinner)
2002 (No dinner)
2003 Vera Klein
2004 Alan Dershowitz
2005 Dr. Hartley Stern, MD, FRCSC,FACS
2006 Stephen Victor, Q.C.
2007 Jim Orban
2008 Dan Greenberg and Barbara Crook
2009 Sara Vered
Certificates were donated by Mrs. Sarah (Fine) Shaffer in 1999 (see Photographic Database - 4-722-01/02).
Most of the textual material (except Negev Dinner Programs) was sent to off-site Storage in August 2009.
1. Missing Negev dinner programs for 1999 (Bob Chiarelli).
2. Both certificates are stored in oversized documents Box 4.
3. Plaque: Ceramic Tile (picture of Parliament Bldgs., Ottawa, ON) on a wood base presented to A. Louis Achbar, Negev Honoree 1969.
1. Identified by Joseph Lieff, Fall 2003
2. Unknown individuals are believed to be from Israel and the JNF head office.
3. L-R: Unknown, David Zelikovitz, Rebecca Zelikovitz, Tessie Zelikovitz, Max Zelikovitz, David Shore, and Unknown.
1. Quality of images is low due to printer used.
2. Ottawa Jewish Archives supplied photographic paper for these copies.
3. See JNF Dinner program for these images.
4. Photos are numbered 4-710-01 to 4-710-21.
5. This particular image shows the Vered Tree of Life.
6. Copy of Sara's IDF certificate also donated along with two scenes of Jerusalem in 1948.
7. Images were also given to JNF for Negev Dinner as she is the honouree this year.
8. Minimum information accompanies each photograph.
1. Certificate is stored in the framed and wrapped items shelf within the vault.
2. See Subject Files for more information on Croll.
3. This certificate was presented on the occasion of his appoinment as member of the Senate of Canada from the Ottawa Men's Zionist Society.