Benjamin Pearl and his wife Clara arrived in Ottawa in 1906. Mr. Pearl worked for the Government of Canada Post Office . During the war years 1914-1919 and 1939-1946, he worked for the Censorship Branch, National War Services as he spoke six languages fluently.
Mr and Mrs Pearl were “ardent communal workers”. He was secretary of the Adath Jeshurun congregation between 1917 and l948, and also secretary in the early years of the Ottawa Hebrew School and later Chairman of the Board of Education.
Mrs Pearl was a charter member of Ottawa Hadassah and the first meeting of the organization was held in her home.
1. 1946 newspaper clipping was in the Hyman Gould material donated by Ron Gould, summer, 2006.