Fonds consists of the working documents, photographs and ephemera of the Young Men's-Young Women's Hebrew Association, both before and after the merger of the institution. Material covers subject areas such as the general administration, staffing and Board governance of the "Y", the running of spo…
Fonds consists of the working documents, photographs and ephemera of the Young Men's-Young Women's Hebrew Association, both before and after the merger of the institution. Material covers subject areas such as the general administration, staffing and Board governance of the "Y", the running of sports and fitness, summer camps, arts, leisure and religious programming as well as educational initiatives and special events. These documents take the form of: typed documents, handwritten documents, photographs, playbills, posters and blueprints.
No du fonds
Notice biographique / histoire administrative
The Young Men’s Hebrew Association (YMHA) and the Young Women’s Hebrew Association (YWHA) were both founded in 1910 to serve the “social, cultural, recreational, physical and intellectual needs” of the Jewish community in Montreal, to quote the Y’s Mission Statement. This community centre has had many locations over the years, including buildings on St. Urbain, Mount Royal and the current location on Westbury Avenue, also known as the Snowdon Y. A second location was opened in Pierrefonds to serve members living in the West Island area. The YMHA and YWHA were amalgamated in 1950 when the new branch opened on Westbury. The YM-YWHA as a recreational organization offers diverse programming and facilities including gyms, a swimming pool, and sports such as wrestling, tennis and baseball. The YM-YWHA also offered musical programs, such as the singing Minstrels and an orchestra, as well as clubs, such as the Duplicate Bridge Club and Public Speaking Club. Tournaments were frequently put on during the Y’s history both for clubs and sporting events. Several education initiatives have taken place as well, including an Evening High School, Friday night lectures for adults and the participation of Montreal Jewish literary legends such as A.M. Klein, who gave lectures and presentations to Y members. Summer day camps have also been an integral part of the Y’s programming, including the popular Y Urban Camp, which began during the 1930s. Over the past 100 years the Y has served as a gathering place for the Montreal Jewish Community, meeting the needs of their members from all walks of life, whether it is immigrants, working-class citizens, or professionals.
Source de l'acquisition
Histoire de la conservation
Materials were transfered from the YM-YWHA on Westbury to the JPL