Dedication of Maor Hagola Yeshiva (1955). Report (1942-1945). Purim message (1943). Student/teacher statistics for Canadian Jewish Congress (1948-1949). Campaign letters. Invitations to events. Program of ordination ceremony (1950). "Merkaz" yearbook (1965, 1968, 1970). Journal (1942, y). Pamphlet (1945). Chag Hasmicha book (1950, 1954, e/y). Bulletin (1973). Clippings (1940s-1950s).
No du fonds
Notice biographique / histoire administrative
Canadian Jews were able to save a group of European yeshiva students during World War II. Upon arriving in Montreal, they founded the Merkaz Hatorah Yeshiva in 1942. The aim was to preserve Jewish tradition, and by extension to safeguard the Jewish people. As Canadian students enrolled, an elementary and high school were added to ease their transition into the rabbinical college/yeshiva atmosphere. The institution moved and expanded, adding a library and beit midrash. In 1972 it merged with the Yeshiva Gedolah, and in 1974 opened at its present location. The Yeshiva was the first to ordain local (and non-local) rabbis in Montreal (1950).