Incorporation act (1964). Terms of association (1989). Financial reports (1985, 1987). Bank books (1940-1945, 1959-1960). Loan books (including by-laws and executive members) (1952, 1959-1961). Blueprints (1952). Bulletins (1956-1989). Dedication/anniversary booklets (1952, 1960, 1962). Correspondence (1959, 1963, 1981). Blank envelopes. Stationery, contracts, bill receipts, cheques, statement, loan applications, membership card, donation cards, birth registers, membership application, book plates. Jewish Yearbook entries (1936, 1946, 1964). "Shuls" entry. Combined Jewish Appeal plaque. Jewish Community Facts (1953). Song sheet (1962). Seat tickets, flyers, invitations. Synagogue and meeting correspondence. Clippings (1963, 1981, 1984, 1987-1989). Artifacts: 2 wall plaques, each 1.5 cm in diameter.
No du fonds
Notice biographique / histoire administrative
The roots of this congregation go back to 1920, when members met in a rented building on Cadieux Street. By 1925, they had recruited a larger membership and chosen the name Shevet Achim, which was the name of the founder Solomon Scharf's previous synagogue in New York. In 1928 the congregation also arranged a free loan association. In 1930 a friend of Scharf's, who owned the building, allowed the synagogue to lease it rent-free and donated land for a cemetery as well. The Orthodox congregation added "Bet Abraham" to its name in his honour. With its members moving out of that district, the synagogue relocated to Jeanne Mance in 1943 and then to Cote des Neiges in 1950 (the refurbished duplex was completed in 1952). In 1963 it amalgamated with Chaverim Kol Israel and built a new facade in 1965. Due to financial difficulties, the congregation debated merging with the Beth Israel Synagogue in 1981 but decided against it. In 1984, it was unable to prevent a Dunkin' Donuts franchise from being built within inches of the synagogue building. Soon afterwards, a dwindling congregation and the aforementioned problems resulted in the congregation's closing and and affiliating with the Chevra Shaas Adath Jeshurum Hadrath Kodesh on Lavoie Street. As of February 26, 2006, the synagogue on Lavoie officially closed. The building will be used as a school for intellectually handicapped children, run by Chabad Lubavitch.
Histoire de la conservation
This collection was accumulated piecemeal from diverse sources by the Canadian Jewish Congress Congress Charities Committee National Archives. It precedes the acquisition of the official records of the Congregation in 2012, under the donor name Congregation Chevra Shaas Adath Jeshurun Chaverim Kol Yisrael (Fonds I0104).
Associated material: See also Congregation Chevra Shaas Adath Jeshurun Chaverim Kol Yisrael (Fonds I0104).