Minutes (1935, 1943-1951, 1972). Reports (1933, 1950, 1954, 1971, 1973). Financial reports and budgets (1925-1929, 1933, 1943, 1946, 1954). Meeting/conference agendas, proceedings (1941, 1956, 1965, 1968, 1970-1973). Board members (1918-1929, 1939, 1951-1952). Correspondence (1930-1959, 1970-1979). Press releases (1950, 1952, 1955). Newspapers and bulletins of YMHA and YWHA (1928-1958, 1968-1990). Memos (1944-1951, 1958, 1968, 1972-1978). Information booklets (1929, 1948). Agenda (1960). Workshop program (1949). Membership applications (blank). Leadership manual (1955). Program book (1949). Programming aids and materials. Dedication program (1966). Film list (1947). Youth rehabilitation resolution (1937). Passover booklet (1956). Single parent handbook. YWHA camp rates (1926). Drawing of Snowdon Y (c.1949). Y calendars and schedules (1937, 1941-1950, 1964-1983). Centre Communautaire Juif History of Francophone Jews and of CCJ (e/f). Anniversary booklet (1987). Campaign information (1940s-1980s). Playbills (1929-1946 with gaps, 1990). Invitations. Pamphlets. Meeting notices. Exhibit guides. Flyers. Fundraising letters. Clippings (1898, 1906, 1912, 1930 copies, 1918-1991). The material also includes Saidye Bronfman Centre and National Council YM-YWHA materials.
No du fonds
Notice biographique / histoire administrative
The Montreal Young Men's Hebrew Association, a sports club, was founded in 1908 and then was granted a charter in 1910. The club rented space in various buildings to provide the facilities for athletics, courses and dances. It also ran field days, a library, social events, lectures, children's activities and a theatre group. Members were recruited, and eventually the Y bought its own building. There were several moves, culminating in the opening of the Snowdon building in 1950, and then of several other branches. A Young Women's Hebrew Association was also begun in 1910; the two merged in 1950. The Y's activities over the decades included looking after Jewish soldiers during both World Wars, the Golden Age Club (1951), summer camp (1963), a nursery, and a variety of social and educational programs and lectures. The Saidye Bronfman Centre, opened in 1967, is the Y's cultural branch, with a theatre, art and other classes, lectures and exhibitions. In recent years the Y has also been assisting Russian immigrants and serving the Sepharadi community through the Centre Communautaire Juif (1978), in addition to its athletics programs.
English and French.National Council of YM-YWHAs and Saidye Bronfman Centre archives.Half and half originals and copies.