Correspondence (1972). Bulletins (1954, 1956, 1960-1974). Program (1980). Jewish National Fund/ High Holidays pledge cards. Clipping (1956)
No du fonds
Notice biographique / histoire administrative
In 1950, with young Jews moving into the Cote des Neiges area, about 100 families organized themselves into a community group. They held services in members' basements under the name Beth Shira. In 1951, they purchased land for a synagogue - the High Holiday services were conducted in a tent set up on the vacant land. The congregation also adopted the name Beth Hamedrash Hagedol, one which went back to 1917 and represented a congregation soon to disband on Notre Dame. With a change in city planning, new land was bought on Mackenzie in 1952. The building was completed in 1953. There was further expansion in 1959, and the Orthodox congregation also purchased a cemetery for its members. In 1963, the synagogue amalgamated with the Tifereth Israel, in existence since 1928. They ran an afternoon school from 1965 which has since closed. Shifting and ageing populations have resulted in a shrinking membership, but the synagogue has been rejuvenated somewhat by the formation of the Congregation Sepharade de la Langue Français. The synagogue closed in Sept. 1985 and merged with Congregation Shomrim Laboken Beth Yehuda
Shomrim Laboker Beth Yehuda file (ZH).Fonds consists of mostly copies and clippings.