From a Yiddish fundraising pamphlet, circa 1934. In 1863, the Young Men's Hebrew Benevolent Society (YMHBS), later the Baron de Hirsch Institute (BHI), was formed. It helped new immigrants, ran a school, and provided relief services to the Jewish community. Other such organizations and institutions, often in need of money, were also in existence, so in 1916 a single agency was formed to oversee all fundraising for these groups: the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies. It later was renamed the Federation of Jewish Community Services (1951), then Allied Jewish Community Services (AJCS, 1965). In 1992 the name was changed to Federation CJA. Included within this social and community services agency are the Jewish Public Library, the YM-YWHA, Golden Age Association, Jewish Immigrant Aid Society (JIAS), and the Jewish General Hospital
MB 1.See Photo collection described on database in PCAT. One oversize box of scrapbooks stored with materials. Minutes and annual reports from National Archives of Canada collection and fragile materials from Series A are available on microfilm; reels ZE 22, ZE 23, and ZE 24.Various constituent agency records. See entries for Hebrew Old Peoples' and Sheltering Home, Maimonides Hospital, Hospital of Hope, Jewish General Hospital, Mount Sinai Sanatorium, YM-YWHA, Herzl (Dispensary/Health Services Centre/Family Practice), Montreal Hebrew Orphans' Home. See Also: Women's Federation of Allied Jewish Community Services, Industrial Removal Office.Approximately 15 m. of this collection is unprocessed. There is a finding aid and computer listings for the processed materials.