Minutes (1971). Documents about the sale of the building (1976). Agreement with Young Israel. Arbitration hearings documents. Correspondence. Notes. Report to Canadian Jewish Congress and other related documents (1977-1979). Financial reports (1947, 1957, 1966, 1968-1979). Money raised and owed (19…
Minutes (1971). Documents about the sale of the building (1976). Agreement with Young Israel. Arbitration hearings documents. Correspondence. Notes. Report to Canadian Jewish Congress and other related documents (1977-1979). Financial reports (1947, 1957, 1966, 1968-1979). Money raised and owed (1963). Members lists (1957). Outremont documents (1974-1978). Building recommendations (1977). Press releases. Correspondence (1935-1936, 1944, 1978-1979). Bulletins (1941-1944, 1947, 1952-1972, 1978). School statistics (Canadian Jewish Congress 1948). Graduation booklet (1948). Dedication/ anniversary booklets (1947, 1965, 1980). Fundraising information (1953-1957). Model Seder report (1977). Proposed architectural plans (not used. c.1938). Flyers. Invitations. Clippings (1939-1940, 1944-1956, 1966, 1981, 1986-1987). Added in 2022: Charter and By-Laws booklet for Young Israel Congregation and Community Centre of Outremont, 1953, including congregational history, building photographs, and names of contributors to the Building Fund. The booklet is accompanied by a letter from its donor Phyllis Robinson describing her family's involvement with the synagogue.
History / Biographical
The Adath Israel Congregation first met in a rented hall in 1930. In 1936, land was bought in Outremont; in 1938 the synagogue was incorporated; by 1940 the building was completed. The Adath Israel, an Orthodox synagogue, also ran the first congregational day school in Canada in the synagogue building; a school was built in 1947. A Hebrew high school, the Adath Israel Academy, was begun in 1952, also with its own building. It was later called Hebrew Academy, and both schools amalgamated with Young Israel Synagogue's schools in 1965. The Adath Israel has its own cemetery. It also ran an afternoon school and developed a separate Sephardi service (Adat Yisrael S'faradi). Eventually, due to the shifting Jewish population, the Outremont buildings were sold and the congregation moved to a newly built synagogue in Hampstead in 1980. The Adath Israel had one of the first "contemporary" synagogue designs and was the first large, new synagogue built in the post-Depression era in Montreal.