By-laws. Charter and alterations (1886, 1890, 1929). Legal documents (1865 copy). Cemetery land deed (1863). Legislative Assembly Journal (1854). Quebec statutes (1902). Bill 26 information (1933). Minutes (1964, 1966, 1974). Reports (1942, 1944, 1956-1975). Members subscription lists (1885). Financial documents (1906, 1947, 1968). Letter from congregation to British philanthropists (pre-1917). Board members (1976). World War II Congregation Shaar Hashomayim soldiers. Correspondence (1887, 1906, 1935-1978). Program booklets (1890, 1936-1970). 100th anniversary booklet (1946). Dedication scrapbook (1922). Dedication booklets (1922, 1948, 1957, 1965, 1967). Bulletins (1931-1989). Special service booklets (1897, 1899, 1947). Publications (1934, 1946, 1970, 1972). Purim play and booklet. Graduation cantata (1956). Cantata, song sheet (1941). Historical notes (1941). Press releases. Allan Bronfman Lectures information (1964, 1970, 1973). Conference proceedings (1958). School statistics (1948). Bnot Mitzvah booklets (1971, 1985). Lecture/sermon texts (1944, 1946, 1964-1965). Lecture Series book (1987). "Jews of Canada" article (1926). "The Occident" articles. Jewish Social Studies magazine (1943). Course lists (1964,1967). Calendar (1961). Archival inventory (1950s-1960s). Exhibit information (1967). Synagogue activities (1906). Women's auxiliary activities (1934). Passover recipes. Book plate. Fundraising and invitation letters. Greeting cards. Benchers (1975). Flyers, invitations and tickets. Clippings (1883, 1899, 1908 copies, 1922-1991).
History / Biographical
In 1846, members of the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue and other Montreal Jews decided that they wanted Ashkenazi synagogue services. They therefore formed the Corporation of English, German and Polish Jews which was modelled on a British synagogue. The congregation rented space, then constructed its first building on St. Constant Street. In 1875, the congregation almost amalgamated with the Spanish and Portuguese to form one large synagogue in the west end of the city, but this was not successful. After several other moves, and the adoption of the name Shaar Hashomayim in 1917, land was purchased in 1920 in Westmount and the new building completed in 1922. A school was added after the Second World War, and the building was expanded in 1967. Though Orthodox by charter, the congregation is Conservative. It is the second oldest synagogue in Canada, and the oldest Ashkenazi one.
This collection was accumulated piecemeal from diverse sources by the Canadian Jewish Congress Congress Charities Committee National Archives. It precedes the acquisition of the official records of the Congregation in 2012, under the donor name Congregation Shaar Hashomayim - Synagogue administrative records