Congregation list. Correspondence (1948, 1963). Synagogue bulletins (1937-1989). Sisterhood calendars and bulletins (1970, 1973, 1977). Men's club programs and calendars (1946, 1954, 1964). Conference agenda (1953). Dedication program (1957). Campaign literature (1941). Jewish Yearbook entries on Shaare Zion (1936, 1946, 1954, 1964 copies). Song sheet. Invitations. Flyers. Clippings (1932 copy, 1940-1963, 1974-1991). Shaare Zion Academy: student statistics, teachers' questionnaires (Canadian Jewish Congress 1948). Student magazine (Itonenu) (1962-1969, e/h).
History / Biographical
The Shaare Zion Congregation was begun in 1920, when services were held in two members' homes. As the congregation grew, a variety of locations were used until an Anglican church building was bought in 1925. A charter was granted in 1926 and the synagogue was officially founded. A Hebrew school was established in 1926 as well. The synagogue merged with the B'nai Israel Congregation in 1932. In 1939 the synagogue building was destroyed by fire. A temporary location was used until land was purchased on Cote St. Luc Road. The initial part of the new synagogue was finished in 1941, the completed building in 1947. In 1951 the Shaare Zion began the first Conservative day school in Canada, the Shaare Zion Academy, now known as the Solomon Schechter Academy. In 1955, a school building was added on and was recently expanded. The synagogue building was dedicated to the memory of synagogues destroyed in Europe by the Nazis.
English and Hebrew.Julius Berger files in Monty Berger collection (MC 10).Mostly clippings and copies.