Annual report (1960). National synagogue directory entry. Jewish yearbook entry (1964). Correspondence (1974-1975). Sermon text (1964). School curriculum (1966). Prayer sheet. Resolution on gambling. Bulletins (1956-1967, 1971-1979). Dedication book (1956, 1964, 1969). Sisterhood booklet (1959). Program booklets (1971-1974). Invitations. Flyers. Clippings (1956, 1964, 1966, 1979, 1985-1989).
History / Biographical
In 1952, with the influx of Jewish settlement there, a group of Town of Mount Royal Jews banded together to hold religious services, after deciding to join the Conservative Judaism movement. Originally held in the Town Hall, services moved to the new synagogue building on Lucerne in 1957. The Conservative Congregation, incorporated in 1954, had decided on the name Beth-El from the outset; it also ran an afternoon school, at first in rented space, then in the synagogue building. Expansion occurred in 1960, and the sanctuary was also remodelled in 1969. The afternoon school eventually included nursery to high school classes, and the synagogue also housed Akivah elementary school for several years. The Congregation Beth-El was the first synagogue in Montreal to introduce "family seating".
Monty Berger collection - Beth-El files.Mostly clippings and copies.