2.3 metres of textual records. - Env. 760 photographs. - Artefacts.
Scope and Content
10 framed plaques. 20 unframed plaques. Approximately 760 photographs. Correspondence files. Publication The DALSE Courier Bulletin, [1949-1999]. Minutes. Artefacts (badges, lapels, pins, licence plates, etc.). Publicity flyers. Financial records, 1979-1986. Scrapbooks/golden book, including organizational history to 1989. By-laws. 6 certificates (5 framed), 1980-1992. Display on cardboard with includes many newspaper clipping about Dalse.
History / Biographical
The Dalse Welfare Club was started in 1929 by a group of young friends 16 to 18 years of age who were interested at that time in sports, social gatherings and education. They were called at that time "The Dalse Boys," and the letters D-A-L-S-E stood for "Dramatics, Athletics, Literature, Social and Education".The Dalse Boys made their mark in this fashion until the outbreak of the Second World War, when some of the members joined the armed forces and went overseas. With a depleted membership, those who were left in 1942 held an emergency meeting where it was decided the Dalse Boys would become a Service Club and the name changed to read: "The Dalse Welfare Club," with its slogan of "Help Unto Others," as it is today. With the new name came a new interpretation of D-A-L-S-E: D for Devotion, A for Altruism, L for Love of Mankind, S for Service to Community, and E for Effectiveness. From its inception, parcels along with cheery notes were regularly sent to Dalse family members overseas in order to keep up morale. Projects were easy to come by since volunteer organizations were always welcome. In order to expand the slogan of "Help Unto Others," Dalse needed more members who were eager to join and make their presence felt. Dalse was fortunate in this respect, and the new members fitted into the family as if they had always been there.Over the years, Dalse was involved with many hospitals, institutions, groups and individuals. Among the larger and more complex areas of the organization's involvement was the Douglas Hospital in Verdun. A major project for the organization, Dalse is the oldest volunteer group visiting the Douglas Hospital, and this for over forty years. Activities included visiting the patients, bringing homemade food, and providing musical entertainment as well as Chanukah parties for Jewish patients. In 1949 Dalse established a bright and attractive "DalseCentre" (re-dedicated in 1989), where patients could mingle, as if in the real world. With an aging membership and a lack of new participants, Dalse Welfare gradually reached the decision to shut down, ceasing operations in 1999. After the closing of the office in June 1999, the Dalse Archives were sorted and donated to CJC Archives by secretary Shirlee Klein in August 1999.Maimonides therapy room, May 1965.Trip to Mont Royal Chalet with the Dalse Welfare Club in the 1950's.Girls at the Mackay Centre for the DeafDalse Welfare Club baseball team, 1955.Getting on the bus before a Dalse Welfare Club event for the Montreal Institute for the BlindDescription of the Dalse Welfare Club Ladies Auxilliary
The collection was donated by the Dalse Welfare Club through the initiative of the Secretary, Shirlee Klein.