Annual reports (1943). Correspondence (1919, copy; 1940-1942). Souvenir books and programmes (1927-1956, e/y). Posters/ads for meetings (1936-1944). Dinner invitations and tickets (1937-1942). Clippings (1940, 1957, 1982).
History / Biographical
Begun in 1907 in Montreal as the Russian-Polish Society, this landsmanschaft soon changed from a fraternal organization of newly arrived immigrants to a sick benefit association with close ties to the community. As one of the oldest Jewish fraternal organizations in North America, the Association provided gifts and helped its members celebrate special occasions. Broadening to a community organization, it provided mutual assistance, sick benefits, visits to ill members, burial lots, visits to the bereaved, funeral expenses, assistance to the aged, free loans, and aid to European Jews. By holding cultural events and through its membership, it was able to raise funds for these causes as well as for Israel. It was closely associated with the Hadrath Kodesh, Hadrath Yeshurun Synagogue and the Federation of Polish Jews.